Working on a student visa – ordering a letter to confirm the University holiday period

As a student on a student visa, you are permitted to work in Australia to supplement your income. During the semester, you’re permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight. However, there is no limit on the number of hours you are permitted to work when the University is not in session, as long as it doesn’t interfere with studies and you are not enrolled in Summer or Winter Semester.

Confirmation of the University holiday period

If your employer requests a letter to confirm the University holiday period in order to determine when you are permitted to work unlimited hours, you will need to order a To Whom It May Concern letter from the online order portal.

To order your letter online, you must:

  1. be enrolled in all your 2018 subjects before you request the letter, as we can’t generate it for you otherwise
  2. use the ‘Additional Instructions’ box at the bottom of the online order form to provide details of why you need the letter
  3. place your order early as these letters can take up to 15 working days to produce

For detailed information on work rights, contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).